Better Bicycling Community Grants
Purpose: In celebration of its 30th Anniversary, Performance Bicycle will recognize some of the bicycle advocacy organizations making a difference by granting a total of $30,000 in 10 communities. These Better Bicycling Community Grants will support local efforts to make cycling more accessible in the communities where there are Performance stores. The grants are administered in collaboration with the Alliance for Biking & Walking
Criteria: An organization may apply for a Performance Bicycle Grant if it
- Is located in a community where there is a Performance store
- Is incorporated as a 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(4) organization; grants will not be awarded to individuals
- Proposes a campaign that is winnable with measurable results
- Proposes a campaign that will celebrate and enhance bicycling in a Performance community
Additional Criteria: In addition, we recommend, but don’t require, that the applying organization is a member of the Alliance for Biking & Walking.
Recommended Campaigns Include:
- Introducing Open Streets to your community
- Working with local agencies to update / implement a Bike Plan, Bike Map, etc.
- Training new community advocacy leaders
- Promoting bicycling (e.g. audits, awareness campaigns)
- Developing a bicycling economic impact report for the community / state
- Passing / implementing bicycle-friendly ordinances (e.g. complete streets, safe passing, bike parking requirements, bicycle access to buildings)
- Launching infrastructure campaigns to build bike lanes, trails, and parking
Performance Bicycle will not fund safety events, fundraising rides or races with these grants, but would look forward to talking with you about these types of events and how our store associates can help. Contact your local Performance Bicycle store about local support for these types of activities.
Grant Amount: Performance Bicycle will award ten grants for $3,000 each. All grant requests must be for $3,000. Grants will be administered by the Alliance for Biking & Walking.
How To Apply: Complete and submit the grant proposal form, available HERE, to Brighid@PeoplePoweredMovement.org.
The application deadline is 5:00 p.m. (Eastern) on Monday, June 25, 2012. Grant winners will be announced on Monday, July 30, 2012. Proposals will be evaluated by Performance Bicycle and the Alliance for Biking & Walking. Grant proposals will be accepted between 9:00 a.m. on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 and 5:00 p.m. EST on Monday, June 25, 2012. Grant winners will be announced on Monday, July 30, 2012.
Proposal Evaluation: Complete and submit the grant proposal form, available online. Proposals will be evaluated by Performance Bicycle and the Alliance for Biking & Walking.
Reporting: A final report highlighting the results of your campaign, effectiveness of this grant, lessons learned by your organization, best practices / model(s) to share with other organizations, photos and PR-related materials will be required at the end of the grant period.