Performance Bicycle Green Commitment
Protecting the environment has always been a personal priority for me and my family. We love the beauty and majesty of the outdoors.
As a cycling retailer, Performance® values the outdoors and the environment. For over 30 years, Performance® has made both the health and environmental benefits of cycling affordable for over 1 million customers.
Garry Snook, Founder
Our Commitment to the Environment
We believe we can improve lives and contribute to a better world through cycling. We place a high priority on environmental stewardship.
We've always used sound environmental practices, such as recycling and designing our warehouse with energy-efficient lighting and climate control systems.
Our Recycling Practices
In our corporate office we recycle paper, cardboard, aluminum cans, plastic and glass. The office paper that we use for printers, copiers and fax machines is recycled.
Our warehouse recycles plastic shrink wrap, pallets and corrugated cardboard. The corrugated cardboard we use for shipping to our customers and stores, as well as the packing paper, is recycled and recyclable. The batteries in the RF scanners used by warehouse personnel are recycled and recycled ribbon is used in warehouse printers.
We donate old PCs to charity and send toner cartridges and ribbons back to vendors to be refurbished.
Green Building Techniques
When we built our warehouse, we specified energy efficient cinderblock and concrete construction. It features energy efficient lighting, louvers on the wall and ceiling and a timed thermostat.
As we open retail locations, our goal is to comply with LEED-CI certification requirements wherever feasible.
We encourage associates to use alternative, earth friendly modes of transportation to work. We provide a Commuting Incentive Program wherein employees are rewarded for bicycling, walking/running, carpooling, or taking public transportation to work. We provide secure bicycle storage and when possible, we include showers in our stores so retail associates can ride, run or walk to work.
Cycling & the Environment
Fitness and fun aren't the only positive aspects of cycling. Riding your bike instead of driving a motor vehicle reduces the emission of pollutants that are harmful to the environment. Please read the following for more details:
- A four mile round trip by bicycle prevents the production of 15 lbs of air pollution
- A daily seven mile commute by bicycle instead of by car prevents annual emissions of almost 9 pounds of hydrocarbons, more than 66 pounds of carbon monoxide, 4.4 pounds of oxides of nitrogen and 1319 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions annually
- If just 1 of 10 commuters who now drive to work switched to bicycling, the savings would amount to 2 billion gallons of gas per year and a 25.4 million ton reduction in carbon dioxide emissions.
- 8 bicycles can be parked in the space required for just one car
- According to the Federal Department of Energy more than 50% of the working population in the US lives within 5 miles of their place they work
- Although more than 60% of all trips are 5 miles or less fewer than 1% are actually made by bicycle
- One fourth of all trips people make are one mile or less, yet three fourths of these short trips are made by car
Interested in cycling tips? Here are some recommendations from the League of American Bicyclists:
On the road:
- The same laws that apply to motorists apply to cyclists
- Obey all traffic control devices
- Use hand signals to indicate stops and turns
Always wear a properly fitting helmet:
- Wear a bike helmet, no matter how short the trip
- Always ride in the same direction as traffic
- Use the furthest right lane that heads to your destination
- Slower moving cyclists and motorists stay to the right
- Ride in a straight line
- Don't swerve in the road or between parked cars
- Check for traffic before entering street or intersection
- Anticipate hazards and adjust your position accordingly