SRAM Red 22 11-Speed Hydraulic Disc Brake Shift LeverFor years one of the largest complaints about road bikes, especially at the pro and elite level, has been braking performance. Traditional mechanical rim brakes work fine if the weather is perfect and you're riding the perfect pad/rim combo. But throw in rain, wet roads, dusty conditions or a pair of carbon clinchers on a screaming descent and your braking power can be reduced to virtually zero. SRAM Red 22 Hydro shifters take an innovative and extremely effective approach to solving these problems. Hydraulic brakes have long been a staple component of mountain bikes, but for the first time their improved power and modulation is available for the road cyclist.
The unconventional look of these levers belies some serious innovation underneath the hoods. SRAM perfected their hydraulic brake technology with their Avid brand, and they've spent the last few years figuring out how to cram that technology into a pair of road levers. These levers feature an all-new master cylinder that delivers incredible braking power and modulation that puts all other braking systems to shame. The action is nearly instantaneous, and makes braking throw hairpin turns on wicked descents a dream.
The fully sealed hydraulic system is easy to set up thanks to SRAM's new Connectamajig Road system. This makes coupling the levers to your hydraulic brake system fast, easy and convenient. All it takes is a push and a twist, so these are not only some of the quickest to install hydraulic brakes ever, but these might be some of the easiest to install brakes period. The hoses can be routed internally, and the levers are compatible with the SRAM Red 22 components.
The SRAM Red 22 Hydro levers are compatible with both the Red hydraulic rim and disc brakes, so you're not married to either system. Both systems have their advantages. Disc brakes are not yet legal for road racing, but the hydraulic rim brakes deliver many of the same advantages with very little weight penalty. The disc brakes are ideal for cyclocross and gravel road racing. With their superior stopping power, and since their virtually impervious to the elements and mud, these are sure to quickly become the brake option of choice for cyclocross racers.
But it's not just hydraulics that set these levers apart. They also feature all the advances of the standard SRAM Red 22 levers.
The SRAM Red 22 Hydro shifters use the all new ErgoDynamic technology to make these the most comfortable and best performing levers out there. After all, ergonomics is all about the mating of man and machine, and SRAM takes that seriously. ErgoDynamic uses three separate elements to improve your riding and shifting experience. The first is that the brake lever has been made slightly longer than previous SRAM road shifters, so it's easier to reach from the drops. This makes it easier to feather the brakes while descending or racing. The levers also feature independent reach adjust that allow the lever reach to be customized for a variety of hand sizes. This improves the braking and shifting performance for almost any rider on the road. After all, brake levers and shift paddles don't do much good if you can't reach them. Lastly, the shape of the hoods has been completely redesigned with a smaller diameter and a higher top shape to increase rider control and improve finger wrap. This addresses a complaint from several elite and pro-level riders on earlier iterations of Red, where riders sometimes felt their hands were slipping off the hoods at speed. You now can now maintain positive control thanks to a more comfortable, precise grip. Cap it off with a redesigned clamp that allows for better fit and adjustment with modern carbon and ergo bars, and you get one of the best feeling levers on the market.
The SRAM Red 22 Hydro shift levers also incorporate the newly redesigned DoubleTap technology. DoubleTap is SRAM's innovative method of shifting, which uses just one paddle to execute both up and down shifts. It worked marvelously with 10-speed and it feels even better with 11. Shifting up and down the cassette feels smooth and easy. Coupled with ZeroLoss technology, DoubleTap always delivers crisp, accurate, and sure shifting with every lever throw. ZeroLoss means that for every centimeter you move the lever, the cable moves the same amount, eliminating play from the shifters so you can shift faster, with none of the mushy feeling we've all come to tolerate from some shifters. The paddle also delivers a satisfying click with every shift, one that you can both hear and feel, so you always have complete confidence in shift action. The left shifter is designed specifically for use with the SRAM 22 Yaw front derailleur, and it is able to deliver more leverage for easier shifting, even under load.
The new SRAM Red 22 Hydro shifters are all about performance and speed. If you demand levers that can deliver uncompromising control, lightening fast shifts, and unparalleled comfort, then you need SRAM Red 22.
For the cyclist who demands the absolute best in shifting and braking performance, SRAM Red 22 Hydro sets a whole new standard.
- Choose front or rear
- Includes road-specific Red Disc caliper and hose
- Hydraulic road brake levers deliver improved braking power and modulation
- Newly designed master cylinder is specifically designed for road bike applications
- Compatible with both hydraulic rim and disc brakes
- Fully sealed system is virtually impervious to the elements
- Easy bleed access for adjustability
- SRAM Connectamajig Road makes these some of the easiest to install brakes in the industry
- 11-speed DoubleTap shift technology makes it easier than ever to shift
- ZeroLoss technology eliminates shift paddle play for crisper, more accurate shifting
- ErgoDynamics technology updates the shape, feel and adjustability of the levers for SRAM's best feeling levers yet
- Updated clamp design for improved compatibility with carbon and ergo bars
- Optimized power and modulation for road and cyclocross
- 19mm front/18mm rear pistons for optimized differential braking power
- Lower hand forces required
- Road specific caliper and piston ratio for improved braking performance
- Fully sealed system seals out the elements
- Quick-disconnect Banjo Option (OEM option)
- Rotors & caliper mounting spacers/brackets are sold separately
- 160mm for pavement, 140mm option for off-road
- 449 grams per wheel (Lever, Caliper, Hose and 160mm HSX rotor)
SRAM Red 22 11-Speed Hydraulic Disc Brake Shift Lever
- SRAM Red 22 11-speed components, SRAM Red 22 Hydro rim and disc brakes
- number of links:
- 449 grams per wheel (lever, disc caliper, hose and 160mm HSX rotor)