2014 Schwinn Rocket 2 27.5" Mountain BikeThere are many "entry level" mountain bikes out there that cut corners in all the wrong places often resulting in a bike that will not last, will not stay in adjustment, or is far too heavy to offer a legitimate mountain biking experience. The Schwinn Rocket 2 is a 27.5" (a.k.a. 650b) Mountain Bike that offers a solution to that entry-level problem.
For starters, Rocket 2 features a double-butted aluminum frame--the same technology and material as higher-end bikes, and an SR Suntour 100mm travel fork create a fully functioning platform for off-road riding that delivers on performance, efficiency, and strength. Rocket 2's 27.5" wheel size is among mountain biking's newer innovations. Originally a 26" wheel discipline, mountain bike makers have been making 29" wheeled bikes, and more recently, 27.5" wheeled bikes. The larger wheel size surmounts obstacles more easily, has lower rolling resistance (as in, they are faster), and situates the rider closer to the wheels for a more balanced ride.
A Shimano 27-speed drivetrain gives the rider easy pedaling on steep inclines, excellent mid-speed ratios for acceleration, and plenty of gears to maintain top speeds or downhill speeds. The Alivio/Acera derailleur and shifter combination uses rapid-fire shifting technology that is fully responsive, ultra reliable, and very easy to master.
Lastly, where lesser bikes might slip in a heavier, weaker set of steel handlebars, stem, or seatpost, Schwinn has not. All of these components on Rocket 2 are aluminum alloy, which is the material of race-level components; the weight or strength advantage in the very expensive cousins of these parts certainly exists via more precise forging, shaping, and refining techniques, but is something that an entry level or casual rider would not necessarily benefit from. The Rocket 2 is a bike that can take years and years of hard trail riding, and deliver the rider a safe, rewarding, and exciting mountain biking experience.
- Exclusively Available to Ship to Any Retail Location
- Schwinn N LITENED 2 double-butted aluminum 27.5 MTB frame with SR Suntour XCM hydraulic lock-out suspension fork is light and provides a controlled ride through rough terrain
- Shimano Alivo/Acera components with 27-speed drivetrain for reliable, efficient shifting and climbing/accelerating/top speed efficiency
- Tektro hydraulic disc brakes for increased stopping power in any conditions
- Alloy handlebars, seatpost, and stem are light, strong, and corrosion resistant
2014 Schwinn Rocket 2 27.5" Mountain Bike
- bottom bracket:
- Tektro HDC-330 hydraulic disc, 160 mm rotors
- Shimano HG20, 11-34t, 9-speed
- KMC Z99, 9-speed
- SR Suntour XCM alloy 42/32/22t
- SR Suntour XCM HLO 27.5" suspension with 100 mm travel and hydraulic lockout, 1 1/8
- Schwinn 27.5 MTB N LITENED 2 double-butted aluminum, tapered head tube
- front derailleur:
- Shimano Acera
- Schwinn MTB trail grips
- Schwinn S1 MTB alloy, 31.8, 20 mm rise
- FSA threadless, 1 1/8"
- Tektro HDC-330 hydraulic disc
- Resin body with reflector
- rear derailleur:
- Shimano Alivio 9-speed
- rear shock:
- Schwinn trail MTB
- Schwinn S1 MTB alloy, 31.6 × 400
- Shimano SL-M430 Alivio Rapid Fire+
- Schwinn S1 MTB alloy, 31.8
- WTB Wolverine SS 2.1
- Alex MD17 double wall 32 hole