This is the latest version of the very first single-speed specific MTB hub ever produced by us back in 1996. “W.O.R.D.” stood for Wacky One Speed Rear Device, because at a time when most riders had just upgraded from 7 to 8 speeds, the idea of stripping all the derailleurs off of your bike to make a super simple, reliable, harder-to-ride bike seemed like a pretty stubborn and a little crazy idea. Since then it has become a cult classic.
Yes, this hub spins very smoothly due to extremely high tolerance machined bearing bores (.0001″), high quality user-adjustable sealed cartridge bearings, and a hub shell design that has been refined over years of production and real world abuse to be as light as possible while still withstanding the abuse that the biggest, most abusive riders can put it through.
One of the best things about the latest iteration might be the super-stiff, super-light, flex-free, interchangeable 7075 Alloy axle. Available in 3 configurations: Quick-Release, Bolt-On, and Thru-Axle, it passes from dropout to dropout (unlike the flexy, non-adjustable caps so common on cheaper hubs that love to pop off and roll under your car or workbench every time you take your wheel off). In the future, if you switch frames or get a new bike, you can easily change out the existing axle for whichever style of attachment fits your new dropouts.
- Fresh bearings and axle conversion kits are available for hub overhauls and rebuilds in the Hub Service Parts section.
- The Disk WORD hub has freewheel threading on the drive side for standard BMX style freewheels, and a 6 bolt ISO rotor mount.
- Rear hub accepts BMX freewheels with English threads (1.37 x 24 tpi)
- Rear bolt-on axle uses hex key to tighten
- Extra-wide flanges and bearing spaces
- Please note that radial lacing voids the manufacturer's warranty
- Single-speed design with 135mm spacing
- ACS Crossfire freewheels will not fit on Paul Component Engineering hubs
- The flanges are canted towards the rim reducing spoke stress. Spoke hole counts are 32 and the spoke holes are chamfered to reduce stress on the head and elbow of the spoke.
- Made with pride in Chico, California.
Material: 6061 Aluminum
Anodized Color: Black
Dimensions Axle Spacing: 135mm
Flange Diameter: 56m
Center to Flange: 34mm
Spoke Holes: 32
Freewheel Threading: English 1.37x24tpi